How would you respond to a company which focuses on a low waste lifestyle inspired by nature? Well, that is The Domesticated Engineer. This husband-wife team creates products which fulfill those requirements and serve customers’ needs at the same time.
Andrea Kjorlaug, founder and co-owner, says that the inspiration for the company was building a brand that celebrates heritage arts such as sewing. Much of the sewing and other cloth manufacturing and construction has moved out of the United States, but she wants to bring it back with a new flair. She says, “When people think of sewing, they think of it as an old-fashioned, outdated hobby. We aim to show that you can still find handcrafted local goods that are responsibly made in the Atlanta area and are higher quality than mass-produced goods.”
Her products include:
•Cloth Paper Towels made from OEKO-TEX Certified cotton and organic Terry.
• 100% Cotton Napkins - while our cloth napkins are a sophisticated touch to any hosting occasion they are designed to be durable enough for everyday use.
• Veggie Crisper Bags produced from organic terry cloth sourced from Southern farmers and mills, help leafy greens and other vegetables remain fresher longer in the fridge.
• Wool Dryer Balls and Yarns which are sourced from the Appalachian area’s small family farms which raise heritage and threatened breeds of sheep. The existence of these special animals helps maintain biodiversity in both the food and fiber system.
• Beeswax Wraps come from chemical-free cotton and beeswax from a local beekeeper, and raising these bees is ensuring there will continue to be pollinators within the Atlanta area for years to come. The wraps last 6 to 8 months and are compostable afterward.
• Coasters and Hotplates which look like heirloom rag rugs, utilizing the smallest remnants of cloth which would otherwise be wasted.
Mission: To provide our customers with the most clean and cheerful home goods that inspire local, handmade living and meaningful home gatherings.
Read all about Andrea in our current edition. Purchase your copy today an go shopping early to avoid the holiday shipping rush!
Use special code "MAINSTREET" when you go shopping at
The Domesticated Engineer.